Wednesday, December 19, 2007

We share a story to show what we are trying to change at JustLocal.

Hi,

For those of you not subscribed to our newsletter, I thought I would share an excerpt from the December edition of JustLocal News.

My aim with JustLocal is to encourage people to change just a little. A little change I believe is all it will take to make a better world.

I often have the following conversation with people I meet which shows them why I do what I do.

I ask, "do you have a favourite restaurant?"
"A restaurant that you enjoy going to."
"That gives you great service and looks after you."
"Do you tell others about the restaurant?"
"Tell your family and friends about the restaurant."
"Even take your family and friends to the restaurant."

I then say, "so you help to build the restaurant owner's business and they grow".

Then I ask, "has the restaurant owner referred anyone to your business. To any of your family, your friends?".

The answer is always no.

So the restaurant grows and the people I meet, well they give their energy to the business, but the business does not help them to grow.

That to me is okay. That is the normal business model we are all used to. The business being recommended deserves to be recommended. They look after their customers by providing excellent products and service and they are rewarded with profit.

Why is it that those customers who provide us with our ability to live and to provide for our families, are the last we look to assist?

Are our customers simply our meal ticket?

For me that can't be all that business is about. Those smiles and pleasant conversations I have had over the years with all the local businesses and not one of them has offered to help myself or my family. That is not how I work.

Next time when you are about to purchase something think of those you already know. Can someone you know that helps your business and thus your family, provide that product or service? Is there someone in your networking group, your family, friends, or contacts, that you can redirect your business to and help them grow?

Those who help you are why you are where you are today.

If my view of the world helps you to better see the world for what it is, then you too, perhaps in some small way, can start to create a better world.

Enjoy,

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment