Thursday, March 25, 2010

Alert: Facebook Password Reset Confirmation NR.43452

I received the following email which included the attachment: Facebook_password_Nr2457.zip which contains the file Facebook_password_Nr2457.exe.

Microsoft Security Essentials did not detect this attachment as being malware, yet there is no doubt to me it is malware. Using OzEfilter I would have deleted this email at the mail server safely away from my computer.

Hey  ,


Because of the measures taken to provide safety to our clients, your password has been changed.
You can find your new password in attached document.


Thanks,
The Facebook Team.

I would advise that if you receive this email to delete the email and not open the attachment.

- Kelvin Eldridge

PS. This has been confirmed as malware by the service I use as detailed in MyAnswers solution 1890.

1 comment:

  1. The update of Microsoft Security Essentials on 25/3/2010 at 3:15AM which was the latest update of MSE when the malware was received did not detect the malware.

    The update produced on 25/3/2010 at 12:25PM now detects the malware.

    - Kelvin

    ReplyDelete