Thursday, April 22, 2010

Alert: Beware of comments containing fake compliments on your blog.

If you run a blog and receive a glowing compliment via a comment, before accepting it read it again. If it doesn't specifically mention something in your article, (and even if it does) chances are it is simply someone trying to promote their site. When they post a comment their site address appears with the comment.

I should add there is nothing wrong if someone comes to your site, comments on what you write and in turn for their effort, there is a link back to them. However if their only purpose is to scan the internet for places to promote their business, then that is when it you may need to review the comments.

I recently had a used car trader post a comment for an article I wrote letting people know about the MyTreasure site, which enables people to sell, trade, or give away their excess items for free. The article was very complimentary. From the information I received about the comment I couldn't see anything which made the comment an obvious marketing attempt. It was only when I accepted the comment did the link for the user become public and that is when I was able to trace it to the used car trader site.

I recently received the comment with the following:

Wow! Amazing... It's really a mind blowing job. Thanks for sharing your link

The email I received to notify me of the comment allows me to publish the comment, but unfortunately it provides no information about who is posting and what link they are using. If I go to the blogging software to accept the comment I see the text, (Make Money At Home In Australia), but I still can't see the link until I publish it.

The problem is if I simply publish the compliment, it is very possible I am also publishing a link on my blog which could easily be a link to an undesirable, or even potentially dangerous site. I have seen one computer infected by simply going to a site. The first time I saw the particular malware it took hours to remove. I really don't want to expose my readers to such a situation and I suspect other blog owners don't want to expose their readers either.

One of the more interesting fake comments I received was very well written. When I searched the internet I found 95,000 sites had received the same compliment.

Next time you receive a compliment, you might want to review it more carefully before simply hitting the accept button.

- Kelvin

No comments:

Post a Comment