Saturday, December 11, 2010

Australia’s top Google searches 2010

If anyone has a finger on the pulse of what Australians are interested in it would be Google. My logs show Google is used by over 95% of Australians when searching. That puts Google in an unenviable position of being able to see trends as they're happening, which is an enormous advantage for Google.

Now whilst I'd love to be in Google's position of having the front seat when it comes to trends, and I'm sure most other business would too, Google makes available a whole range of historical information. One I find interesting to read is Google's Zeitgeist. I decided to check out Google's information for 2010. You can read Google's blog post at http://google-au.blogspot.com/2010/12/taking-pulse-australias-top-google.html and their summary information at http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/zeitgeist2010/.

I consider myself to be an avid reader of technology and what's happening on the web, but even I hadn't noticed a couple of the services which feature prominently.

The one service which really stood out for me was Tumblr. Tumblr is a modern blogging service and it has an impressive growth curve. I'd not seen Tumblr mentioned in the press, but to see it made the top ten means there are a lot of people interested in Tumblr.

A service I hadn't seen is Omegle. When I checked it out I found it was like Chatroulette. These are services which enable you to talk to random strangers on the internet. Not exactly something that interests me, but obviously it is of interest to lots of others. Also interesting is when you compare the graph for Chatroulette with Omegle. Omegle shows progressive growth whereas Chatroulette had enormous growth earlier in the year and a large drop off rate.

Perhaps you'll find something useful in Google Zeitgeist to give you an idea and help your business.

Kelvin Eldridge
The Preferred Australian English Spelling For Office

No comments:

Post a Comment