Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Why you should think twice about providing your postcode to retailers

Over the years I've often been asked for my postcode by the cashier when I complete a purchase. I haven't really felt it was required, but think why not and just provide the postcode. My thought is the retailer probably collects the stats about where their customers are coming from and that helps to fine tune their marketing. I'm OK with that.

With JustLocal I ask people for their postcode because my aim is to provide localised and relevant information to them, rather than sending emails to everyone on the mailing list resulting in people getting emails that aren't relevant to them.

But when I read this article recently, I thought how naive have I been.

It appears that at least in one case one business was doing much more with the postcode information and as we all know, if one business is doing it, chances are others businesses are doing it as well. When you obtain the postcode and the person's name from their credit card details you can use databases to match the person with their address. This information is then being used to create mailing lists which are made available for sale.

I had never thought companies would be taking my information and then selling that information to third parties. But now I wonder. I've often received those joint promotions from those rewards schemes which make it obvious the company sending the offer (which isn't the company with the reward scheme, but often a financial company trying to sell finance or insurance) is pretty obvious. But what about those other letters I've received that I didn't think about.

With JustLocal you have my commitment that your information goes no further than my business. I don't provide your details to anyone. All emails you receive based on your data are from me.

I even go one step further. Your email addresses is kept offline.

It concerns me that so many businesses upload people's details into third party services such as mailing list software. Some of those services are free or very low cost and chances are if they are free, your data is being used in some way without your knowledge. If your personal details are stored online there is a good chance that data will be hacked at some stage. We regularly hear of the biggest businesses in the world having their systems hacked, so chances are there is little chance for companies who put your data online will be able to guarantee it is protected. By keeping your data offline  I ensure the exposure to your data is extremely minimal.

Next time when that friendly cashier looks up at you and asks you for your postcode, you may think twice about providing it. I know I will seriously think twice about providing my postcode details when asked.

Kelvin Eldridge
http://www.justlocal.com.au/  

No comments:

Post a Comment