Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Alert: Twitter Notification

This is a reminder not to trust notifications from the major online services such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, eBay, Foursquare or MySpace. When these services become so common they are given free access status with many mobile phone plans, it means there are large numbers of people are using the services. Where a service has a large number of users (Facebook reportedly  is used by 25% of the internet population worldwide) it becomes a target for scammers.

On my Apple 3GS iPhone when I received the email with the subject Twitter Notification, there was not way for me to check the links in the email. If on the other hand I collect the email using Outlook I can easily see the link will take me to a Russian domain.

A healthy degree of mistrust will save you a considerable amount of time, money and angst should one of these malicious emails reach you. If you do end up infecting your computer and you're located in Melbourne and need a support call, you are welcome to contact me. My contact details are on my Online Connections web site.

To help prevent unwanted and malicious emails reaching you you are welcome to request a free demo copy of OzEfilter which is the full program expiring at the end of April. OzEfilter is a great way to keep malicious emails out of your computer.

Kelvin Eldridge
http://www.onlineconnections.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment