Thursday, March 03, 2011

Apple iPad 2 Australian release date

Yesterday Apple announce their new iPad 2. We all knew it was coming, but in their usual style Apple keeps the actual details under wraps to generate interest in each launch event.

The updates are pretty much to be expected. Dual core processor, lighter, thinner and front and back cameras. All of these updates make sense and improve an already excellent product.

Whilst the news is available on the Australian site, I like to check the USA site as it has more information. The release date is March 11th in the States, with the Australian release date on the 25th of March.

In terms of pricing I'd hope Apple Australia is aggressive in their pricing. With the Australian dollar above parity, the price difference should intheory be quite small, but I tend to think there will be a price difference. Keep in mind prices in the States are generally stated without sales tax so you need to add tax to the price. It will be interesting to see the premium we end up paying in Australia.

I'm very interested in the Apple iPad 2. I was also very interested in the original iPad and was about the plonk my money down on one when I thought it doesn't do all the things I need to do and for the most part, I'd need to continue to also used my Netbook. It will take some time (if ever) before my main applications can be run on an iPad but you never know what the future will hold.

I'm not a big fan of Flash but without it, some of the sites I need to visit don't work. I can and do take my business with me when I'm on the road using my netbook, which is something I can't do with the original iPad or iPad 2. But still it is a great device and I don't really think the other tablet makers have yet produced a product which would tempt me more than the iPad/iPad2. Microsoft may have a chance to tempt me, but as yet they still haven't produced a tablet product to interest me.

Full credit to Apple for really producing an innovative product which others over a year later, still in my opinion haven't caught up to. The iPad 2 or better, at an equivalent price, is what the other players need to create to get me interested.

Kelvin Eldridge
http://www.justlocal.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment