Tuesday, June 05, 2012

North Balwyn computer repair and support

The other day I received a support call from a resident in North Balwyn.

Normally support to North Balwyn would incur travel time, but because they made the effort to contact me, I decided to help with no call-out fee.

The person had a problem that their computer was running slow. I checked the computer and it was infected with malware.

This time the malware was relatively easy to remove, but it does take some time. I could see the client was concerned about time, so I set the time limit to one hour. Normally I would suggest allowing for up to an hour and a half. I usually fix the upper limit to an hour and a half for residential clients as I don't believe people should be spending hundreds of dollars to fix an older computer. Often this results in writing off some time, but I'm happy with that as the client ends up with a clean computer at a cost effective price.

Whilst waiting for the software to remove the malware the client also mentioned their daughter's computer was running slow. I said I was happy to check it out whilst we were waiting. The computer was also infected with malware. I started the software to clean the second computer.

Whilst the computers were being cleaned I checked their preferred browser which was Firefox. On both computers the Firefox search feature had been hijacked. The client removed and reinstalled Firefox but it made no difference. Internet Explorer had no problems which they were happy to use. I find it much quicker and easier to fix problems with Internet Explorer because of the features built into Internet Explorer.

Nearly every computer I come across where people are using Firefox, have their Firefox search feature hijacked. People don't even know it has happened.

It felt good when leaving the client. For one hour of support time they now had two clean working computers.

During the month of June, if you live in North Balwyn and require assistance with your computer, give me a call, mention this article and there will be now call-out fee.


Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 if you require help with your computer.
No problem too small.

No comments:

Post a Comment