Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Alert: ANZ - ONLINE - LOCKED OUT (03) 8400 4610

Similar to the scam email I received last week with a New South Wales number, today the email had a Victorian number. The following is the text of the message.

Your online account will be limited. Please call our office immediately at: (03) 8400 4610 to restore your access! Thank you.

The country of origin of the email was Spain. The email had a faked Australian email address.

It does make me wonder how scammers get the telephone numbers and what the telcos are doing about it. I know when I reported scammers calling on my Optus telephone line Optus wasn't interested. These scams can only occur with the services provided by the telcos and if the telcos aren't prepared to do anything about it they should be held accountable.

You should delete these emails.


Kelvin Eldridge
Online Connections
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for computer support.
Servicing Templestowe, Doncaster, Eltham and the surrounding area.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this info.
    But what benefit is there in an email like this and what would happen if I call the number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norman,

      I'm not quite sure what you're asking, as I see no benefit to the person who receives the email. Like a thief stealing from your home the home owner doesn't benefit.

      The benefit is for the scammer. If the scammer is able to gain your personal details they can use them in a number of ways. Some people may even be convinced to give away their banking access details. I suspect the aim is to find gullible people they can then work on.

      I don't know what the scammers are after and haven't called the number. I have no real desire to call the number to find out further what they are tyring to do.

      The main thing for me is to alert others to be on the watch for such scams. If it helps one person that is a good outcome.

      Kelvin

      Delete