Friday, August 16, 2013

Message: The Age - Subscribe to The Age today for just $1.

I use a newsreader to read news items from all over the world. What surprised me recently was when I clicked on a link to read an article I was presented with a screen to subscribe to The Age. That makes sense. The Age wants people to subscribe.


However I wondered just how thorough The Age was in identify unique readers. The Age limits the number of articles you can read a month before they block you from reading additional articles and requesting that you subscribe. In theory it is possible they might be tracking you individually, and yes this can be done with some effort, but I suspected they'd take the easy path and probably use a cookie to record how many times you read an article. If you cleared the cookies I was pretty sure the subscribe message would disappear.
 
Sure enough, clearing all the historical data including cookies in the browser and the subscribe message disappeared. Alternately using a different browser also had the same effect.

Kelvin Eldridge
Online Connections
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for computer support.
Servicing Templestowe, Doncaster, Eltham and the surrounding area.

No comments:

Post a Comment