Sunday, November 30, 2014

McDonald's hijacks our nickname for their stores by using and promoting the Maccas nickname.

I don't know about you, but somehow I don't feel it is right for McDonald's to hijack our nickname we use to affectionately describe them. The name we as the public use. We've now seeing them using the term Maccas in things like having a maccas run.


Now the problem is companies like McDonald's don't just stop at using the terms we've created, but they also then go and trade mark them. That's the big companies pushing their weight around.

Not happy Jan. I don't think this is good marketing for McDonald's as once they take our slang and use it for their own purposes they push us to use a different nickname. The next nickname on the list is mcscraps and I'm sure that's not going to help them.

So unless McDonald's want to be known as McScraps, then perhaps they really should think about their long term marketing. Hijacking an affectionate name for commercial purposes may be a good short-term idea, but may end up biting them in the long term. I know I won't be using the term maccas any more. Who's up for McScraps, instead of let's do a maccas run, will probably be the catch cry for me.

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment