Thursday, February 12, 2015

Can private buses travel in bus lanes?

I was driving along Fitzsimons Lane in Templestowe and was quite surprised to see what looked like a private school bus. The bus had a big ad on the back with Nunawading Christian College and the number place ZWI 028. It was around 4:30 pm and the bus travelled along Fitzsimons Lane, then Williamsons Road, turned left into Reynolds Road and I last saw it going into the United petrol station in Doncaster East next to The Pines shopping centre.

I always felt bus lanes were for public buses, but when I asked another person they said they see the small buses all the time on the Eastern Freeway using the bus lane. Of course there may be different rules for different bus lanes. I do seem to recall the Eastern Freeway has signs which allow certain types of vehicles other than buses, but I've not seen such signs on Fitzsimons Lane and Williamsons Road.

Interestingly when I check the internet and look up information from government sites I couldn't find anything that made it clear. I think it should be easy to check such information but instead I get rather confusing and what to me is ambiguous information. I'm even more confused now with regards to bicycles and whether or not they can use bus lanes.

Such a poorly documented and confusing system we have. No wonder the government is laughing all the way to the bank with the fines they raise.

I do hope these people aren't flaunting the law. Once you get one group of people flaunting the law others tend to copy making the law pointless. Yes they'll get fined every now and then but the damage they do by providing a bad example simply leads others to think it is OK. But of course since I haven't been able to determine whether or not the law being broken, I really still don't know.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment