Sunday, March 01, 2015

We have now verified that we are no longer detecting PII being passed to Google from the account(s) under your control.

I received an email titled "Policy Breach Notice" from Google with the following message.

Dear Publisher, 

We have now verified that we are no longer detecting PII being passed to Google from the account(s) under your control. 

Thank you for helping to resolve this matter. 

Regards, 
The Google Policy Team

Initially I wondered if this was a scam, but this appears to be a legitimate email. I didn't know what PII meant. After some searching it appears PII stands for Personally Identifiable Information. However the real problem is the thank you for helping to resolve this matter makes no sense. I had no knowledge there was any issue.

Checking the internet has found many people receiving the same message and also not having any knowledge of what it is about. At this point there is nothing I've knowingly done or have done.  The message appears that it may be a result of a false positive.

I felt it was appropriate to share this experience in case others find themselves in the same situation. At least people will know they're not alone.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

1 comment:

  1. I received an email from Google today apologising that the email was sent in error.

    "The message was sent in error; we would like to convey our sincerest apologies for the alarm that this must have caused you and your colleagues."

    Whilst it was disconcerting at first, since I've found issues with I suspect every Google product in the past, then assuming it was sent in error simply made sense.

    ReplyDelete