Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Alert: Important Notice Regarding the Sale of the Dick Smith Online Business

Today I received an email with the subject "Important Notice Regarding the Sale of the Dick Smith Online Business". This could have easily been spam but it wasn't. On the 19th of May 2015 I purchased a power adaptor online and collected it in the local store. That means my contact details are in their database.

If you receive an email like I did from the receivers and administrators, there's a good chance it is legitimate, but as always be careful with the links.

What I found interesting is yesterday I purchased some AAA batteries from the local Dick Smith store and said I was sorry to see the store was closing. I also said the Dick Smith brand will probably be picked up. I've seen this a number of times. The brand gets sold off to a new owner as it is an asset, but all those owed money (including in this case those individuals with gift cards) are out of pocket. It just doesn't seem right to me. Sometimes I think these brands should just disappear off the market. Yes it is an asset of the business just like stock and equipment, but still it doesn't feel right.

In this case the brand, customer database, and if I read it correctly the online business is continuing, or is it? If the online business is continuing then perhaps some of those people who purchase online may have recourse. I don't know. That's not my area of expertise. I personally suspect all that's continuing is the brand and our customer contact details. We'll then be marketed to under the Dick Smith brand.

When you receive the email you'll have a choice as to whether or not you you wish to have your contact details transferred. The new owner is Kogan. The choice is yours.

Kelvin Eldridge

PS. If you do decide to remove your details from the mailing list before the transfer, the email states you have until 5 pm on the 22nd of March. The following appears on the form you'll complete and submit which shows you've already missed the cut off. Hopefully they're simply running behind schedule and stick to the date in their email.


No comments:

Post a Comment