Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Mapz now provides directions to McDonald's, Hungry Jack's, KFC and others.

I wrote Mapz a while ago as I found locating the nearest particular fast food outlet (McDonald's, Hungry Jack's, KFC), servo  (Coles Express, BP), or other place (e.g. cinema) I was interested in, to be quite difficult. At the time some of the sites didn't work well on a mobile device so I wrote my own web app. However I did find a shortcoming to my approach.

Yes there was a map and you could see the address. But if you didn't know the area, trying to zoom in on the small screen was a big ask. More recently I've taken a liking to route facilities that are provided with the mobile applications. I thought why not provide a link so people can use their mobile phones and the map application to provide the route and even let you get there with voice navigation.



You see in the screen capture above there is now a new directions link. Click on the directions link and the location where you want to go will be shown as a pin on the map. Click on the route option in the mobile mapping application and the route will be shown. Often now all you need to do is press start and you'll be guided to your destination. Since desktop computers don't know their location, you may need to type in your current address if using a desktop computer. However for mobile devices, much of the information to get you from where you currently are, to where you want to be, is provided for you.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.mapz.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment