Saturday, January 21, 2017

Nearest tram stop option added to Nearest Train Station web app.

I was tossing up whether or not to create another site similar to the Nearest Train Station web app for tram stops. In the end I decided, at this time, since the web app is for my use and those I know, creating a separate site perhaps wasn't warranted. I decided to add tram stops to the Nearest Train Station web app. OK. Perhaps not the best name for a web app, but it does the job. If there's enough interest I can create two separate web apps down the track. For now we have the functionality.

Why would I create a nearest train station or tram stop web app when Google maps already displays the information. The reason is I personally find Google maps doesn't quite work as easily as I want. Close, but I wanted something simpler. Seeing all stations and the nearest five stations (or tram stops) gives me an overview without all the clutter.

However once I'm on the map for the station or tram stop I want, Google maps provides route information and, I have to admit I'd not seen it before, timetable information. I knew the information had been provided so Google could use the timetable information, but I'd never used that feature or knew it had been implemented. Now I know the feature exists, it is very useful and easy to use. No need to Public Transport Victoria's native app anymore. For me Google maps implementation suits me better than the PTV app as I see the times and not how long to the next train or tram. I prefer to know when I need to get somewhere, not how long I have to go.

The Nearest Train Station web app explains how to access the Google maps train and tram timetable.

You can find the Nearest Train Station web app at https://www.NearestTrainStation.com.au.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.NearestTrainStation.com.au (now with trams)


No comments:

Post a Comment