Tuesday, May 16, 2017

PayPal Here reader flashes red and green.

I decided to pull out my PayPal Here mobile card reader and charge it up. It probably hadn't been used for over a year. Even then the PayPal Here reader had only probably been used twice.

I expected it might be a problem having left the card reader for two years and not having charged it, but the reader charged up. When turning on the yellow star lights flashed but I couldn't connect it using Bluetooth. The blue Bluetooth light would never come up so could not be paired with a mobile phone.

After pressing the reset pin, next to the power button, and holding the pin in for eight flashes to reset, all the PayPal Here reader did is turn on, display a green light for a period of time, then the green light started to flash red and green.

From everything I've read, it appears when this happens to the device you simply need to get a new one. Hardly used, but now out of warranty, the option is to purchase a new reader.

That can't be good for PayPal. By reading the forums it appears quite a few people have the same issue. Since most people hardly used the reader, similar to myself, I've not received value from having the reader.

I can still use the PayPal Here app on the mobile phone which is most likely what I'll do.  Most of the time when credit card payment is required, I have clients go online and use my online form to pay using PayPal. That works well for me.

Replacing the PayPal reader for $49 (I originally paid $99) doesn't quite seem so palatable. This is the second PayPal reader I've had. The first was made obsolete fairly quickly and didn't get much use.

I also have the option of trying out the new Square device which interests me and it slightly cheaper. The disadvantage is dealing with another supplier.

Now at this point I know my options and can move on, but the one thing I haven't done is to ask PayPal. I decided to call PayPal. I think it is always good to see how a company responds.

I spoke to a very pleasant lady. Initially it was confirmed that yes the device was out of warranty and I'd have to purchase a new device. It was suggested the best option was to purchase at Officeworks as I could have the PayPal Here reader that day, or alternately they could get me another device, but it would take up to two weeks. As part of our chat I discussed my options including not using PayPal. The lady asked if I'd be happy it they were to credit my account with the $49 to offset the cost of purchasing a new unit from Officeworks. That was an unexpected offer which I accepted and will now purchase a replacement PayPal Here reader.

Overall I'm impressed with the service from PayPal. I didn't expect to have the outcome that occurred, and it really is a lesson that you need to ask, otherwise you really won't know.

As a business, having a PayPal Here reader ready for those times when your gut tells you it's best to receive payment upfront, gives you peace-of-mind. When one person I personally knew didn't pay, costing a couple of hundred dollars, taught me a valuable business lesson. The PayPal Here reader is the now insurance that payment will be received.

Full credit to PayPal for providing a positive customer experience.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment