Sunday, June 21, 2009

Apple Safari under Windows gets the thumbs down.

I have to admit that I am biased. I've been creating and maintaining Australian English spellcheck dictionaries for the last six years. For me one of the most important things I now look for in a browser is whether it can provide a quality Australian English spellchecker. With so much of our writing now occurring whilst on the internet, a good spellchecker is a must have. If the browser doesn't have a suitable Australian English spellchecker, then for me the software isn't worth considering.

From what I could ascertain, the Safari browser doesn't handle Australian English and even doesn't provide British English as a fallback.

A couple of times a year I check the Safari browser in the hope Apple have decided to support Australian English. Perhaps one day in the future.

- Kelvin Eldridge

Update: A number of people have contacted me regarding this post. Please note this post is about Safari running under Microsoft Windows. Safari on the Mac is a completely different story, just as I'm sure it will also be different for the iPhone. This post is only about using Safari under Windows with Australian English spellchecking. Thank you for your feedback.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about windows users, but on a Mac, you can right-click on a text field, and under the 'spelling and grammar' menu is 'show spelling and grammar'. Here you can find the option to choose other English such as Australian/British/Canadian English. So that 'one day in the future' is now my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This takes the biscuit! It's like criticizing (criticising) a new car for the color (colour) of the upholstery.

    Who cares that it doesn't have an Australian spell checker?

    Why don't you learn to spell?

    John Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. American English is just fine, thank you.

    Personally I hate to see the word color spelled like colour. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

    Anonymous - Thanks for the feedback on the Mac. The issue I mentioned is when using Safari under Windows. I spent a few hours checking and the Australian dictionary provided isn't able to be selected and even if it could be, the dictionary file is a direct copy of the American dictionary.

    John - Your response made me smile. I for one wouldn't buy a new car with upholstery I didn't like. It isn't about learning how to spell. It is about having an appropriate tool. For example the spelling in America is "spell-checker" and in Australia it is "spellchecker". Of course some people might use a spellchecker (spell-checker) to check the spelling of their spells;-)

    Nanchette - I hear your frustration. I'm really only disappointed Apple didn't go the extra mile and provide an Australian English spellchecker. For me it means using another browser.

    Anonymous - I so agree. For an American to spell colour as color would be yuck. For me it is pretty yuck to spell colour as color. I wouldn't ask you to change your spelling for me. I believe we should value the differences in our languages.

    I look forward to Apple providing an Australian English dictionary for Safari on Windows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too right JustLocal.

    I've just been trying Safari for the last week or so, and am gobsmacked that it can't even spell in the mother tongue. How short-sighted for an "International" company.

    The upholstery analogy was just dumb, and not appropriate.

    I use webmail all the time, and until Safari can learn to spell properly, it won't be my choice of browser.

    UKPAT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I was trying to work-out how to change the spell-check in safari (mac) and had given up. It is annoying that so many programs default to 'American English' and many don't give the option to change it.

    Now.. if i could just work put how to change the search engine from Google US...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with many of the complaints. The US is the only country that uses its brand of English. Canada, Australia, Hong Kong all use the Mother Country's English but have to use this one specific country's version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a proud advocate of Australian (International) English as well, and aggressively outspoken in my hatred of American English. Any program that's marketed to an international population should bloody well at least provide an option for supporting International English.

    But nah, America's the only country in the world that matters.

    ReplyDelete