Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Australian Open affects Victoria's regional tourism.

Hi,

I thought I would share this insight as it shows the impact a major event can have on another sector of the economy. A gain somewhere is often a loss somewhere else.

Last year (I can say that now we are in the new year) I visited the Grampians region in Victoria, to see if perhaps I could use the JustLocal service to assist the drought affected region.

The region had been pretty well devastated by the fires the previous year. Anyone who has visited Zumsteins to see a large kangaroo population will know how exciting it is. However on this occasion there was not a kangaroo in sight. In time I have no doubt they will return. They really are a magnificent sight.

I spent a few days in the area and even with the effects of the bush fire, it really is a beautiful and relaxing place. Our accommodation whilst modest, was very pleasant and very affordable.

What I thought was particularly strange was how Halls Gap was not overly busy, which of course made for a much more relaxing holiday. However it still made me wonder.

I asked a local business person and I said, "how come it was fairly quiet. I would have expected more people since the Australia Day holiday long weekend is the last and one of the best times to get away before the hectic year starts again".

He said, "it happens every year because of the Australian Open".

Could it be possible I thought.

So using the tools I use to monitor traffic to web sites I checked the Australian Open site. The site has almost no traffic during the year, but from mid January on there is a massive peak, and then after the event, the traffic again disappears.

The knowledge of the local people is directly mirrored by the traffic on the site.

I share this insight as knowing what events might affect your business is very important, particularly when you are starting off. Experienced business people know these trends. Those with less experience can now use the Internet to gain insights which would other take years of experience to obtain.

As for my new found business friends in the Grampians region, I look forward to the day I am able to assist them.

No comments:

Post a Comment