Thursday, July 09, 2009

Virus alert: "Memory Of..." from "Independence"

I've been receiving a number of suspicious emails which really don't make much sense.

The emails have the subject "Memory Of..." and come from "Independence" with a faked email address.

OzEfilter lets me know the emails are coming from Korea, so for me, they are definitely emails I wouldn't normally receive.

The email comes with an attachment "memory.rar".  A rar file is often a compressed file, but when I view the contents there doesn't appear to be any attachments. The file is twenty bytes.

I've submitted the file for review by the anti-virus company I use (as detailed in MyAnswers solution 1890) and I'll let everyone know what I hear back.

I would suggest deleting these emails. OzEfilter users can delete them at the mail server safely away from your computer.

- Kelvin Eldridge

5 comments:

  1. The report on memory.rar is it came back clean. For me I'd still be suspicious of these emails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm getting a massive amount of these emails too.

    the rar is clean because it's empty.

    very weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124712180147017121.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We received these emails as well... Do you think they are some sort of worm/virus/spyware

    Seems strange that they are looking harmless and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get hundreds of these per day. All has sender email (junkchars)@(myowndomain.com).

    ReplyDelete