Tuesday, February 09, 2010

iPhone weather icon

Having the weather readily available on the iPhone has been a really neat feature. But recently I noticed the weather on the iPhone differs significantly from the forecast provided by the Bureau Of Meteorology. I decided to investigate.

The following is the weather forecast for the next few days on the iPhone for Melbourne:

TUE - 31, 23
WED - 30, 21
THU - 25, 19
FRI - 22, 16
SAT - 26, 14
SUN - 26, 17

The following is the weather forecast for the next few days from the Bureau Of Meteorology for Melbourne

TUE - 35

WED - 30, 22
THU - 30, 23
FRI - 22, 20
SAT - 24, 17
SUN - 25, 18

Today is Tuesday, so I understand why the minimum is no longer displayed for the Bureau Of Meteorology.

As you can see there are some differences. This became quite apparent recently with the higher temperatures. The iPhone was showing high twenties which is quite a nice day, and the weather bureau was showing around mid thirties, which is quite different weather.

I've now decided to stop using the iPhone for weather and use the weather link I've made available on the main page of JustLocal. Whilst I've found the weather bureau isn't as accurate as I'd like on many occasions, I do appreciate the service they provide and offer them my thanks for their efforts.

- Kelvin

PS. You can also find the link for the weather on the NEWS page which is available from most JustLocal pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment