Friday, April 30, 2010

Alert: Amazon.com Deal of the Day

Today I received three emails with the subject: Amazon.com Deal of the Day.

These emails were a mock-up of a page attempting to look like an offer from Amazon. Checking the links for the menus showed a domain ending in .ru, which is obviously not an Amazon domain. I then checked where the emails originated and they originated in Romania.

You should delete this type of email. If you have signed up for online services such as eBay, Amazon, or any service with a large number of users, there is a high probability that over time you will receive a fake email which appears to be from one of these companies. It is easy to be tricked so you need to take care at all times.

I use OzEfilter to enable me to delete this type of email at the mail server before I receive the email into my computer. In this case I was curious so I accepted the email so I could check it further.

- Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment