Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Google updates their search site both for Desktop and mobile users

I read in the press Google were updating their main search page and today I noticed the changes in presentation.  One change I’d suggest clients to avoid is the prompt to make Google search your home page. This appears at the top of the search results. I’m constantly surprised that many people do not realise browsers contain a search field (for example Internet Explorer has to search field at the top right) and you can set that search field to your favourite site engine. The search field is always present.

Those that have set their default page to Google search should think about setting their start page as blank. When I show this to people they are amazed at how fast their browser starts and they can get to the site they want to go to. Many people have the NineMSN page as their default page. They often say I can’t remove it, but once they realise every time they open their browser during the day the NineMSN page has to open first they realise starting with a blank screen is much more productive. Adding a button to their toolbar for NineMSN enables them to check the news when they want. As yourself one question. How many times a day do you open your browser and for most people it is many times a day. How often do you want to read the page you’ve made your home page. Usually the answer is around once a day. So it makes sense to set your home page to blank so your browser opens briskly.

For me the main visual change is the black row across the top. As to the main Google page I rarely use it as I always search using the search field in the browser to open Google search results. I also have a number of other search engines I regularly access (Word Check, IP address checker, JustLocal) which are all immediately available.

TIP of the day: Set your browser start page to blank. You’ll enjoy the new found speed you haven’t seen for a while.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
www.JustLocal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment