Tuesday, July 19, 2011

If something doesn't feel right you should listen to your instinct.

I read the blog post on Credit Matters (Why Did You Do it?... Read More) and shortly after watched a TV news report on people buying cars without ever seeing the car, where there was no traceable contact information and yes the people were scammed and lost their money.

It is important in business and in private life, when dealing with others, to know the person is who they say they are. Scammers are ever present both in business and our private lives. Kim Radok had a good story to share in his post Why Did You Do It?

Next time you’re about to do something that doesn’t feel right, remember evolution has given you the tools, the instinct to know when something doesn’t feel right. If you get that feeling that something doesn’t quite feel right, don’t just go for it. Pause for a moment and think things through.

As an example I once worked for a partnership and was offered a company car as part of the salary package. There was an agreement I needed to sign. I said I couldn’t sign the agreement as it contained a clause which meant I’d have to pay out the company car should I leave and I wasn’t prepared to take that risk. Sometimes things don’t work out and we need to plan for that situation. The human resources manager said it was a formality. The partners had never enforced the payout before. So based on what I believed was a verbal commitment and understanding signed the letter of employment. My gut feeling was correct and that was a very costly mistake I learnt from. If it doesn’t feel right, don’t do it.

If you’re in business check out Kim’s blog and benefit from the wisdom he shares.

- Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment