Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Backup programs for Online Connections and JustLocal clients

Backup programs used to be popular software packages, but now there doesn’t seem to be an easy low cost method for people to backup their data from their computer. I’ve reviewed a lot of mainstream programs and frankly I haven’t found them to be very good. One program I did find to be good, but the supplier isn’t’ actively promoting the program so I don’t expect it will have a long term life.

Windows used to have an excellent backup program built into Windows XP, but since Vista and Windows 7 were released, the backup program included with Windows is adequate.

I decided there had to be a better way to perform the relatively simple task of performing a backup by copying the desired folders from a computer to an external drive. I wanted the files to be copied and not amalgamated into a single big backup file because if a restore is required, a person can easily copy the file from the external drive back to their computer. I wanted each backup to be separate as a single backup is easily overwritten by corrupted data. I wanted a program to check the files copied matched in number and total bytes to ensure the backup completed successfully.

As part of my consulting and support service I’m now able to install a simple backup approach for clients as part of the service call with no cost for software.

One of the biggest problems I have is when I arrive at a new client’s premises, is invariably they haven’t done a backup and that can add hundreds of dollars in time to their support cost. To start working on a computer without having a current copy of the main files is not best practice. Whilst in many cases you can fix a problem, there is always the risk of losing data and people will be very unhappy if they lose their important data, emails and photos.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for computer support in Templestowe and the surrounding suburbs.
No call-out fee or minimum charge for local customers.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment