Sunday, May 06, 2012

The Biggest Loser: Margie Cummins, Brenda Hunt, Alex Zorzi, Kasey Cheesman

I decided to use the BMI/BMR calculator I wrote to determine the BMI for The Biggest Loser contestants: Margie Cummins, Brenda Hunt, Alex Zorzi and Kasey Cheesman. The contestants details at the start of the series were:

Name, Age, Height, Sex, Weight
Margie Cummins, 34, 175cm, Female, 159.1kg
Brenda Hunt, 40, 172cm, Female, 120.8kg
Alex Zorzi, 50, 162cm, Male, 161.6kg
Kasey Cheesman, 26, 171cm, Female, 132.8kg

Using the BMI/BMR calculator, the BMI for each of the contestants at the start of the show was:

Margie Cummins: 52
Brenda Hunt: 41
Alex Zorzi: 62
Kasey Cheesman: 45

All contestants were Obese Class III.

The contestants now weigh:

Margie Cummins: 98kg
Brenda Hunt: 78.5kg
Alex Zorzi: 96.6kg
Kasey Cheesman: 83.2kg

Margie now has a BMI of 32, which Obese Class I. Margie is getting very close to moving into the range of overweight.

Brenda now has a BMI of 27. Brenda is now overweight and no longer considered obese.

Alex now has a BMI of 37, which is Obese Class II.

Kasey now has a BMI of 28. Kasey is now overweight and no longer considered obese.

The following is where each contestant stands in overall weight-loss percentage to date.

Name, Weight, Weight loss to date, Percentage lost
Alex Zorzi: 96.6kg, 65kg, 40.2%
Margie Cummins: 98kg, 61.1kg, 38.4%
Kasey Cheesman: 83.2kg, 49.6kg, 37.3%
Brenda Hunt: 78.5kg, 42.3kg, 35%

Currently the biggest loser of weight in order are: Alex, Margie, Kasey and Brenda. Alex has a significant lead which will be very hard to beat, but it is still a close game.

I’ve produced three calculators which may assist others in their weight-loss journey. The BMI/BMR calculator which shows you where you are and which I used to determine my energy intake in kilojoules. For those who prefer calories, there are 4.2 kilojoules in a calorie. Divide kilojoules by 4.2 to determine the corresponding calorie value.

The second calculator is an Exercise Energy Calculator. This really shows people how much time you should exercise to work off the energy consumed. A real eye opener for most people. For e.g. a choc chip muffin from Coles is around 1,800kj’s. Check to see how long you have to exercise to burn off the energy and you’ll start to see how important diet is in reducing weight.

The third calculator I call the Work It Off Calculator. I wrote this so that should I not be able to resist that treat, this would show me how long I would need to exercise to burn off the energy consumed. Once you know the effort you need to make to burn off that moment of desire, you start to think twice.

You can find all three calculators on the JustLocal page www.JustLocal.com.au.

I find the maths behind weight loss to be easy and clear once you know the information. Once you know the maths, losing weight can be very easy.

For my own weight loss journey I decided to test if it was possible to lose weight without any additional exercise above normal activity. I was able to lose 22kg as a result of dieting alone. No food was off limits for me and all I did was measure the energy content. Very simple, but it does take focus. I would however suggest get a balanced diet in order and exercise and you’ll lose weight more easily. Also seek guidance from a qualified medical practitioner. (The information I share here is only my experience and is not meant to be taken by others as advice.)

Congratulations to the contestants and everyone who is meeting their weight loss goals.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au (An Online Connections service)


1 comment:

  1. Just watched the finals of the biggest loser. The final results were:

    1. Margie, 85.9kg, 46% loss, BMI 28
    2. Alex, 89.4kg, 44.7% loss, BMI 34
    3. Kasey, 78.8kg, 40.7% loss, BMI 26
    4. Brenda, 76.5kg, 36.7% loss, BMI 26

    Note: I've rounded the figures. The show may have truncated the percentage loss. The end order isn't changed.

    Kelvin

    ReplyDelete