Tuesday, October 08, 2013

12V car kettle product is a dud.

I continue to review products in terms of saving electricity and one product I thought would be worth testing was a 12V car kettle. I have a low wattage solar panel, regulator and 12V 38Ah battery which easily stores enough power to boil water for a cuppa. What better way to save money than using the sun to boil water for a cuppa.
I purchased a 12V car kettle and performed a test. For two cups of water it took around half an hour and for a single cup around 15-20 minutes. I don't know about you, but I don't think waiting 15-30 minutes for a cup of coffee makes sense.

I was hoping for a better outcome but really it makes sense. The car cigarette lighter is most likely only designed to take appliances using about 10 amps. That means we are probably using about 120 watts. A normal kettle runs at around 2000-2400 watts, or uses nearly 20 times the amount of power. Thus if it takes about 1-2 minutes to boil a cup of water in a kettle it would take 10-20 times longer in the car kettle. Had I known this at the time I wouldn't have bothered purchasing the car kettle. We live and learn.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.energycostcalculator.com.au
 

No comments:

Post a Comment