Thursday, March 20, 2014

Different people being offered different Coles Flybuys offers

Recently I was alerted to something I didn't quite believe with Coles Flybuys offers. The following is the offer we received from Flybuys.


I went back through my deleted items and found emails with the offers on 19/2/14, 26/2/14 and 5/3/14.

I was told another family member received an offer that required a spend of $160. I'd never seen any offer that I recalled that required an offer for $160. I'd only ever seen a maximum offer of $150. It was actually hard for me to believe that other people would receive a different offer. Sure enough, here is the offer they'd received.



The first reaction by the other person was they were getting shafted once they knew the offer they were receiving required a greater spend. We spend less each week than they do, so we felt what Coles is doing is working out the average spend and then using the offer to encourage the person to spend more.

It does make me wonder if others have an even higher spend requirement. 

This may be a good marketing idea in terms of increasing a person's spend, but I don't think it is a good marketing idea once people realise different people are getting different offers. Customers that spend more appear to be getting a worse offer.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

Update: Thanks to members of a group I participate in, I've now identified offers at the low end of $90/$10 and $120/$20, and at the higher end $200/$10 and $230/$20. This is an example of where the data we provide now to retailers can be used to offer different discounts to different customers. In this case customers spending more money end up with an offer worth less in percentage terms.



No comments:

Post a Comment