Tuesday, December 16, 2014

JustLocal does not track you, but I suspect many large sites/services can easily track you individually through your digital fingerprint.

I run the JustLocal service. JustLocal does not track you or use your information to market to you. I regularly check the logs simply out of interest. However some services I currently are able to track you using your digital fingerprint.

Most people when they get on the internet think they're anonymous, however your computer, the software you use and the ISP you connect with provide a lot of information about you that you may not be aware of.

For example this site which appears to be a research project based in France enables you to see how unique you are simply based on your browser.

https://amiunique.org

I tried both my mobile phone and the computer I'm typing this post and in both cases, out of the roughly 30,000 stats collected so far, both devices are shown as unique.

Now if you add your ISP and the IP address you're using, this reinforces how unique you are.

If you'd like to check your ISP/IP information, in the Search Australia facility available on all pages of JustLocal type the keyword Maxmind. This will take you to the Maxmind site where you can select the option to test your own IP address. When I test mine it shows I'm using TPG as the ISP (Internet Service Provider) and I'm located in Templestowe (as determined by my IP address.

So next time you're on the internet and researching something that perhaps you'd prefer others not to know about, such as your competitor, keep in mind your digital fingerprint could let others know that it is you and where you're located. All it then takes is for you to complete a form providing just one site additional information and all sister sites will know exactly who you are and what interests you.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for IT support.

PS. You should be aware this blog uses Google's Blogger service. I have no doubt Google has the ability to track us individually. What I found interesting was I guess the site was based in France given the number of people using French as the browser language. This proportion will change quickly if the site spreads virally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment