Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Don't answer YES to a telephone call. Scam or Hoax scam?

I've read recently quite a few articles letting people know of a scam where they answer yes to a telephone call from a scammer. The problem is this has been widely reported, yet I can't find one incident where the yes has actually been used by a scammer.

The typical situation is you get a phone call. You know the phone calls. "Are you the resident of the home", or any other question where you answer yes. The yes response is recorded and then somehow later used to scam you. Sounds feasible because I suspect we've all received those type of calls. Even a call could be "can you hear me?"

The problem is, since I can't find one real reference to if the response of yes has actually been used to scam someone. Yes, lots of responses by people saying they've received calls where they answer yes to the call, but none saying this has actually resulted in being scammed.

When I read news items like this it means they may be true, or they may simply be a hoax designed to get people to forward the information to others. The hoax gets people to spread the news even though it may not be real. For example this post is letting others know so if it is a hoax, then I've been tricked into spreading the hoax.

Until I can determine/find a real situation where this 'yes' type call is actually being used to scam people, we have to assume it's a hoax. However, it doesn't hurt to be safe. If you receive a telephone call from someone you don't know, perhaps don't answer 'yes' from now on. Perhaps use 'why'. "Why,  who wishes to know". "Why, how can I help you".

It is truly sad when our technology such as our phones, which offer us such convenience is used maliciously against us, but that's the age we live in.

Many years ago when caller id came in I happily blocked my number so others could not see it. Now I take the opposite approach. I suggest to everyone to let others see your number unless there's a reason not to. I now don't answer any calls to the home line if they're not from numbers I know. The telephone rings with a different ring tone for those I know and all other calls then go to the answering machine. Even my mobile I use for business calls are mostly telemarketing calls for numbers or private calls I don't know.

Scammers and telemarketers often hide their telephone number. Some calls come from interstate numbers such as when overseas callers (often telemarketers) appear to call from within Australia. If you can see the telephone number, it gives you a better chance of filtering unwanted calls. If you provide others with your telephone number, it likewise gives them a better chance of filtering unwanted calls.

Finally if you do call someone you want to speak to and they don't answer the telephone so you go to an answering machine, do leave a message. Scammers and telemarketers will simply hang up. Real people with a real need should be more than happy to leave a message.

Hopefully these tips will help us all avoid unwanted scam and telemarketing calls.

Kelvin Eldridge
Online Connections
www.OnlineConnections.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment