Thursday, November 07, 2019

New red light cameras / speed cameras on Rosanna Road and Darebin Road / Banyule Road Heidelberg

Recently I've been updating the Speed Camera Locations site with more recent government data covering the 2017-2018 period. Previously the site covered 2014-2015 period. In addition previously the cameras were averaged when there were two or more cameras covering a section of road or intersection. Now if there's a camera covering say the left lanes and another covering the right lanes, the camera locations are separate. In addition for red light cameras instead of using the camera location, the location is being updated to be the stop line and the middle of the lanes covered.

I'd also recently noticed four upcoming (or pre-commissioned) camera locations. These are camera locations that may flash but tickets are not yet being issued. They will be in the near future. Two of the cameras were located on Rosanna Road and Darebin Street Heidelberg. One for northbound traffic and one for southbound traffic.

By pure chance I was driving along Rosanna Road, Heidelberg and saw the new cameras as well as videoing them using the dashcam. Not only were there two new cameras at the intersection of Rosanna Road and Darebin Street, but there were also two new cameras at Rosanna Road and Banyule Road, Heidelberg.


The new cameras have a modern design that I've not seen before. One person on the internet described them as spaceship looking. What I felt was odd was not only was there the usual arrangement of the camera and separate flash, but facing the car on the other side of the intersection was another pole and device. At first I thought could this be taking a front on picture. However checking the site for the group company site that provides the cameras (Sensys Gatso Australia) their demonstration video makes me think the additional camera is a radar which is used to locate the position of the car instead of the in-road induction loops. That means the road didn't need to be cut to lay loops into the road. In time I'll check to see if my hunch is right.

For those interested in more information, the contracts for the work for the cameras was worth around $900,000. That's about $225,000 per camera. In addition there's an interesting letter published on Facebook I found which I thought I'd share. You can see the letter by clicking on the pictures.

Videos of all four cameras can be viewed using the links provided in the detail page for each camera (click on the icon) on the Speed Camera Locations site.

NOTE: What will catch people out is there also appears to be a speed limit change to 40km/h coming to Rosanna Road, Heidelberg between Banksia Street in the south to Brown Street in the north according to the VicRoads site.



The combination of the speed camera and the lower speed limit is one that in others location raises a lot of revenue and will probably do the same at Rosanna Road and Darebin Street, Heidelberg.

Probably a common mistake people make is thinking they are in the intersection if the front of the car is over the stop line. They aren't. There's an imaginary line which goes from the kerb of the road to the other side of the intersection. You need to be over that line to be in the intersection. That means fully over the stop line and the pedestrian lines. For those turning and waiting for pedestrians, there's even a greater chance of getting booked. If you check the northern approach to Darebin Street the stop line has a huge angle and probably two cars can be over the stop line, yet still not in the intersection. Combine that with slowing down to turn and there's going to be a lot of cars being booked. Perhaps the new technology may make it fairer to those who think they're in the intersection when they're over the stop line. Only time will tell.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.SpeedCameraLocations.com.au

Update: 13/11/2019
My earlier thought these cameras might be the new laser based, not requiring induction loops in the road was wrong. I checked the road and the road has induction loops placed before and after the stop line. The additional camera as you exist the intersection may be a camera and flash unit to take a picture of the driver. In time no doubt people will find out.


Update: 19/08/2020
Thanks to the feedback from Traders Secret Sauce there's confirmation fines are now being issued for this camera. The government's Cameras Save Live sites has not yet been updated to reflect this change.


The Cameras Now Enforcing sign is on an angle and nothing showed on the sign until you were very close. Be careful. It could be easy to miss, particularly if there's a lot of traffic/trucks.

Update: 14 Jan 2021
The following are more recent videos of Rosanna Road for those wishing to check the more recent speed signage changes.

Rosanna Road southbound
https://youtu.be/k4iPrQq2gMs?t=861

Rosanna Road northbound turning right from Jika Road
https://youtu.be/DMUGCuu-xME?t=447

Rosanna Road northbound turning right from Banksia Street
https://youtu.be/5NXtGbny_I4?t=491

32 comments:

  1. Thanks Kelvin, I was caught unaware of the new speed limit in Rossana Rd turning right from Jika/Burgundy St & saw the camera flash, yesterday. That's when I beacame aware of the new speed limit 40kph from 7am-7pm with new road signs-"after the camera". Hope they're not booking cars yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't be sure but the cameras at the intersection are still listed on the government site as pre-commissioned.

      https://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov.au/camera-locations

      Best of luck.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kelvin, i also got "pinged" at about 56-59klm/hr through that intersection 2 days ago. I was next to an ambo too & he got a flash- 4 in total.. website still does not list its status. if turning right or especially left from Banksia, there is limited opportunity to see the red circled 40 sign. I see lots of complaints about that in the future..

      Delete
    3. Yes, it does seem that area could be better signed. That camera is still marked as pre-commissioned so hopefully it's just in the testing phase. Best of luck.

      Delete
  2. Oh crap. I just got caught on this camera this morning. I am always so careful on that road.Was sure I was under 60 when went through the lights and was the only car. Just realised when I got home that it must have been 40klm. I will tell you if I got a fine in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you mean the Darebin Street/Rosanna Road one which may still be in the pre-commission state. Hopefully you're in luck. They do say no news is good news.

      Delete
  3. Well quick update in case anyone googles this topic like I did. I just went down through that intersection at Darebin St/Rosanna Rd this morning and there is a road works flashing orange sign saying the traffic lights are now enforcing in the 40klm zone. I don't recall seeing that sign when it flashed me. Hopefully it just started today the 11/8/20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to update. It will be interesting to see when the Camera Saves Lives site is updated. Currently stating pre-commissioned.

      Delete
  4. Well, just to wrap this up I ever did end up getting a fine. Thanks Kelvin For this information that you share. It helped me a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just received fine stating 51 in 40 zone. Don’t recall seeing any signs and don’t travel this road often.
    Any chance of challenging?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, Sorry to hear you got pinged. What worked for me in the past (having fined dismissed) is not to challenge but ask for a review and humbly admit I was in the wrong and learnt a good lesson.

      If it helps, in the comments for the following video I have on YouTube there's links to recent videos of the street so you can check the speed signage.

      https://youtu.be/scAWk6LDbRA

      Delete
  6. Hi, We just received a fine from this area dated 31/10/2020. Not being from that area but from a rural area we are always on the lookout for speed signage but cannot recall seeing any. We were done for 51 in a 40 zone. Is there any footage around that date that anyone knows of before I relinquish $330, that may or may not show 40km limits? Thanks ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, We just received a fine from this area dated 31/10/2020. Not being from that area but from a rural area we are always on the lookout for speed signage but cannot recall seeing any. We were done for 51 in a 40 zone. Is there any footage around that date that anyone knows of before I relinquish $330, that may or may not show 40km limits? Thanks 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, We just received a fine from this area dated 31/10/2020. Not being from that area but from a rural area we are always on the lookout for speed signage but cannot recall seeing any. We were done for 51 in a 40 zone. Is there any footage around that date that anyone knows of before I relinquish $330, that may or may not show 40km limits? Thanks 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah. Sorry to hear you got fined. In the comments in the following video I have links to more recent videos of Rosanna Road showing the speed signage. If you can't find a suitable video let me know and I'll post a link.

      https://youtu.be/scAWk6LDbRA

      I feel it's always a good idea to write in and ask for a review. Be humble, admit your error and that you've learnt a good lesson. It may save you some money as it did me. Perhaps use an app like Waze to help with the speed cameras. I use it and it helps keep to the speed limit. So hard to tell what some of the speed limits are around Melbourne.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou Kevin I will have a look.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the post, Kelvin.
    This is my usual route when visiting my friend in Thomastown from Officer. The route never had 40K zone till my last vist there before lockdown. I got a ticket on last Dec when I visited them first time after lockdown for driving at alleged speed of 49K.
    I am sure those infrequent travellers must have met with the same fate.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear. Do take the time to write and ask for a review as I mentioned in an earlier comment. Nothing to lose and you may be lucky.

      Delete
  10. Hi Kelvin, Just received an infringement notice today (date of alleged offence 25th December, 2020 "Xmas day") at Darebin St/Rosanna Rd, do you think it is worth asking for a review as I got off an infringement in March,2020 from a review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It never hurts to ask and you have nothing to lose and something to gain.

      Delete
    2. Usually you can only get one warning every 3 years but good luck with your review.

      Delete
  11. Hi Kelvin, do you know what type of camera is the one on the corner of Darebin st and Rosanna rd, the one right next to the new apartments on 31-35 Darebin Street? Does that take a picture of the car from the front? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete. From what I've read it's a T-series fixed site camera system. Don't know if it can take a picture from the front of the car. It does look like there's a camera that could take a picture from the front.

      Perhaps someone who has been fined and seen the images could better answer the question.

      Thanks for taking the time to ask.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the swift response. I have been fined, but there is only an image of the back of the car. Do you think they would include an image of the front if there was one available?

      Delete
    3. I wouldn't know but I also wouldn't assume they don't have a picture from the front. I've heard cameras also record video (haven't confirmed) and I don't think a video is generally provided. It would help prove who the driver is if required. Sorry I don't know more.

      Delete
  12. Hi there
    I have been fined on the same location Rosanna Road and Darebin Road while travelling on 24th Jan. I am not a frequent traveler on this road.I think 40K speed limit was due to the school around school timings. It is not obvious(not visible while driving) from the boards it is 7am-7pm. I have contacted Vic roads and was advised a number of callers are calling on fines at this location. I am going to apply for review.
    Great information Kelvin.
    cheers
    Prasad

    ReplyDelete
  13. We got a speeding fine and didn't realise the speed had changed to 40km. We got clocked doing 47km I don't even remember seeing any significant signs and I was a passenger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui. Sorry to here you guys got fined. As I wrote in an earlier reply "I feel it's always a good idea to write in and ask for a review. Be humble, admit your error and that you've learnt a good lesson. It may save you some money as it did me." Hope the suggestion helps.

      Delete
    2. Jacqui if it helps, there's YouTube video addresses above in my replies to videos I've taken of Rosanna Road so people can check where the signs are. Just copy and paste the addresses into your browser.

      Delete
  14. I'm curious if anyone as asked for a review and got their fine withdrawn. I was fined for driving 50kw/h in Oct 20 during lockdown. Asked for a review but got rejected. I think I have been a careful driver and have not lost a point for 10+ years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had one speed camera fine wiped (about 5km/h over) but I presented in person. I've read (but don't know how true) the speed needs to be under 10km/h over. As you say it would good to know from others if they've been successful with a review.

      Delete