Monday, July 27, 2020

Face mask or face shield.

It's actually quite hard to read information and know what is right and wrong. The government said for a long time we didn't need to wear masks and now in Victoria it's mandatory. So which is it, don't need them, or do need them.

First from what I've read N95 or equivalent masks can reduce up to 95% coronavirus particles getting into your nose or mouth. If you decide on a scarf homemade mask your protection could be reduce by half or more. The government is suggesting we can use any covering as a mask and that is acceptable. But is it the best approach for you.

The way I work is I look at increasing the probability of not getting the coronavirus infection. Each action you take could reduce or increase your chances of an infection. It's a matter of trying to find real information from scientific research to help you make the best decisions for yourself. There's still no guarantee you'll get infected, but hopefully you'll reduce your chances.

Currently my line of thought is if possible get an N95 or equivalent face mask from Bunnings or similar.

Now when it comes to a face shield those gaps around the face shield are a concern to me. Whilst people say coronavirus droplets are affected by gravity, I'd think very small aerosol droplets can easily be taken with winds and drafts. If an updraft can lift a glider then I'm sure it would have no problem with an aerosol sized droplet.

I won't however rule out face shields because  whilst my guess is they won't offer as much protection, it does act as a barrier. What's the research. I've not read any at this point that gives me the information to make a decision.

However there's one thing I haven't been doing and that is protecting my eyes as a source of entry for the virus. I'm no different to anyone else. I take time to do what I should and I really think it is time to start wearing some protective glasses.

Really I don't go out much now except for groceries and occasional shopping. At home there's very little exposure. Outside where there's many people such as when shopping, that's an exposure I need to take seriously.

With the eyes I recently read the following article. The one piece of information I thought was useful is it gave a figure of 1-3% risk of infection via the eyes. In other words your eyes are already more protected than your mouth and nose if wearing an N95 mask. That is the risk is low.


The following is, or soon will be my list of ways to protect myself. Do keep in mind I don't go out to work with others and you may not be in such a fortunate position.

Stay at home where possible.
If seeing anyone (for purposes of care) ask if they've seen anyone else, what activities and evaluate the risk.
Wash hands appropriately
Sanitise hands appropriately
Wear a mask when shopping or out in public.
Wear protective glasses when shopping or out in public - on my to do list
I don't currently use public transport
I don't currently visit clients (all work is remote)

One additional thing we've done is to use online ordering for our weekly groceries. As there's items I often need to get I use pick and collect, but before collecting I get my other items. I have to admit it is harder though to be organised.

One area of concern I have with my behaviour is the purchase of takeaway. In round one of stay at home I really didn't have takeaway. This time I have a bit more, but we cook more at home. I do however feel this is a point of exposure and will continue to ponder over this.

For my needs I feel a face mask plus protective glasses will give me better protection than a face shield.

Kelvin Eldridge

Update: 10 August 2020
I've been a bit concerned that people feel all face masks are the same. My gut feeling is they aren't so I decided to look for some research. Turns out some forms of face covering makes things worse. E.g. bandanas.
Also keep in mind face masks with valves/vents should be avoided. At best they could increase your risk, at worst they increase the risk to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment