Saturday, September 05, 2020

Scam/ Fraud calls claiming to be Telstra/NBN using www.helpme.net

 Over the last day we're had a large increase in calls from scammers. The calls come from different numbers.

02 4049 8394
0426 264 438
0405 573 067
0486 096 857
0492 609 329


Given the number of calls I decided to let one of the calls proceed to see what the call was about. The first person gets you to test your speed of internet using www.speedtest.net. 

My speed information was:

Download: 45.03 Mbps
Upload: 1.14 Mbps
Ping: 19 ms

NOTE: This scam call was about my speed on the NBN. I don't use the NBN. I use my mobile phone to access the internet so trying to speed up my NBN service, which I don't have, is never going to work.

Once they have that information they then pass you on to a more senior person. This is a testing phrase to find susceptible people. If you've kept on the line for this you're a person they are more likely to be able to scam.

The will tell you, you have an internet speed problem and they'll fix the problem.

At this point I decided to hang up and see what would happen. I immediately received a call back on the number 03 9530 7873.

They then get you to press the Windows key plus the R key to open the run command window.

Next you're asked to type in www.helpme.net.

At this point I entered the website address into Google's virus checking site and the site came up that www.helpme.net had one hit as being a Phishing site and two hits for suspicious.

At this point I felt continuing may be more of a risk than I was prepared to take. I know this caller is a scammer. Most likely they're trying to get me to use a site that will enable them to access my computer, but I wasn't prepared to continue due to the level of risk.

At this point I pointed out that Google's virus server has reports of them being a phishing site and they immediately hung up.

Hopefully now they'll remove the number from their calling database, but who knows.

Whilst these scammers are a problem, the real problem is our telephone companies who do nothing to stop this fraudulent activity. The telcos are all gain and no responsibility. Millions have been scammed out of people and telcos continue to allow this. Politicians continue to allow this. I don't see why the telcos and politicians continue to allow scamming to continue without doing anything. It makes no sense. Scammers and crooks will continue to steal. That's what they do. But why telcos and politicians assist or do nothing really is beyond belief.

Treat every call you receive from an unknown number as a potential scammer. Chances are you'll be more right than wrong.

I've set my phone to ring with one tone for calls from people I know and another tone for calls I don't know. For the calls I don't know I let them go to voice mail. I've found if it's important the person will leave a message and I can get back to them. Most of the time no one leaves a message.

Stay safe.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment