Friday, October 02, 2009

Virus: Microsoft Security Essentials gets the thumbs down and thumbs up.

To my surprise I've completed the parallel testing of Microsoft Security Essentials in a much shorter time than I expected. I have sufficient information now on whether or not to recommend Microsoft Security Essentials to my clients.

I have read a review giving Microsoft Security Essentials 9 out of 10. It is pretty obvious to me at least, insufficient testing of the software was performed. All I had to do was to collect one days worth of emails, compare the results and that was sufficient to reveal all I needed to know.

I am hopeful that Microsoft uses the feedback from its user base as they could have a great product in the near future. Full marks to Microsoft for getting this far with their product.

If you are interested in my results they can be purchased for $9.90 from MyAnswers. You can find the solution on the Virus page of MyAnswers. The solution number is 1931.

- Kelvin Eldridge

PS. Based on the Free Anti-virus face-off results Microsoft Security Essentials performed best of the free anti-virus solutions tested. It really is about how you use MSE and what you are happy with whether you consider MSE to get the thumbs up, or the thumbs down. In my opinion it gets both. To use being able to forward on emails to other with malware attached isn't community friendly. But to protect your own computer, MSE performed very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment