Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Apple iPad 2 cameras are a bit of a disappointment

Since I couldn't easily find out the size in megapixels of the Apple iPad 2 cameras, I decided with the help of some friends to determine the megapixels of the cameras. As it turns out I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with both the cameras.

I don't know why Apple didn't provide higher resolution cameras. Maybe it was cost. Maybe it was to keep the iPhone ahead of the iPad. Maybe it was to keep some features to be released in the iPad 3. It doesn't make sense to me but ultimately it was their choice. I was really keen to get an iPad 2, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm not an Android fan as I feel the fragmentation and the customising by vendors will make it difficult to move to later versions of the operating system. I read recently the Samsung Galaxy Tab wouldn't be able to be upgraded to Android Honeycomb (not confirmed) so already we may be seeing equipment without a future on the market.

Microsoft doesn't seem to be saying much and I'm not really sure what to think of HP's WebOS, which I'm not sure if it will be available in Australia.

So really picking a tablet is exceptionally hard.

Whilst the iPad 2 might still get my money, as time goes on it becomes a hard choice. No ability to plug in external memory. Lower resolution cameras. No HDMI output. No USB connection. A great browser but it doesn't provide the ability to upload files from the browser which for me is a feature I'd really miss.

I think Apple really has to rethink its strategy or the sheer force of the many major hardware suppliers might just enable Android to become number one in Australia.

So if you're thinking about getting a tablet, the middle of the year is when we'll see quite a few new products on the market. By that time Apple iPad 2's will probably also be much easier to get. Perhaps patience is a virtue after all.

For those interested in my findings on the Apple iPad 2 cameras this is available in MyAnswers solution 2090.

Kelvin Eldridge
http://www.onlineconnections.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment