Saturday, May 18, 2013

LED downlights Melbourne - Aldi specials

Aldi are having a special on LED lights starting on Saturday the 18th of May. I recently did a comparison between the ALDI and Bunning downlights and more specifically the GU10.

Using the Energy Cost Calculator I was able to show that whilst the downlights are more expensive they do pay for themselves. If you’re buying a downlight, a bayonet, or a screw LED light do a quick calculation and see how long it takes for the LED light to pay for itself.

For example I have three downlights in the ensuite. Originally these were 50W but I reduced them to 35W lights. I’d say they are on for around 2 hours a day. I replaced them with LED lights (not from Aldi) for around $10 each. Using the Energy Cost Calculator I can see how much I can save using the LED lights. I enter three lights at 50W (or 35W) which gives a total of 150W for 2 hours a day. The replacement LED lights are 5W and since there are three, I enter a total of 15W. The cost was around $10 each and again since there are three the total cost was $30. The following link shows the payback from replacing the lights is around 14 months (21 months for replacing 35W halogen lights) so it really doesn’t take long to recover the purchase price. Once you recover the purchase price the saving comes straight off the electricity bill.

Take the time to do the calculation and you can work out which lights to replace to give you the greatest savings. For me the hardest thing is to stop using perfectly good lights which still work and replacing them with something I now have to buy. But once you figure out the new low energy lights pay for themselves and then cut your electricity bill it makes sense to replace them as soon as possible.

At the end of the day that’s money in your pocket rather than the electricity company.

 

Kelvin Eldridge

Online Connections

www.OnlineConnections.com.au

Call 0415 910 703 for computer advice and support.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment