Thursday, May 19, 2016

Where Did I Park My Car web app

Ever parked your car and couldn't quite remember where?

Last weekend we visited the Children's Farm in Collingwood. The car park said full so I dropped everyone off and went to park the car. There's lots of parking restrictions in the area. I parked in one spot and said high to a local as I left the car. She alerted me to the fact there was a sign for Permit Parking. I thought I'd read the sign right which had parking restrictions on Monday to Friday so thought I was OK. Luckily the person helped me. So back in the car driving down backs streets and found a parking spot. It really wasn't that far, but thought, would I remember the location after a couple of hours. Luckily I did as well because I saw the parking officers a couple of times that day.

After I'd parked I pulled out my smartphone, took a screen capture of the map, but couldn't help feeling it would be better if I could see where I was and where the car was. I tried to find a way to record the GPS coordinates but wasn't able to.

Over the years there's been times where I've wanted to record where my car was located. I've taken pictures of street signs, screen captures and tried numerous approaches, but none seem to work well for me. Then there's been times when a family member's car broke down and the time it takes to let me know where they were was frustratingly long. Or, the "can you pick me up" only to again spend time trying to work out where they were.

I thought it was time to write a web app to help myself, my family and friends. All I really needed was the ability to record the current GPS coordinates and then to be able to send the GPS coordinates to myself or someone else via email.

The result is the Where Did I Park My Car web app.

Open the Where Did I Park My Car at www.JustLocal.net.au/wheredidiparkmycar/, click on Get current location until you get an accurate location and then send the location as a link via email. Using the email, when I click on the link the mapping application opens showing where the car/location is and if I'm close, where I am. If I'm further away, I can even use the mapping application to give me the route. As a bonus the time stamp for when the email was sent lets me know how long I've been parked and that can help avoid those parking fines.

Now recording the GPS coordinates and sharing the location simple and easy.

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment