Saturday, February 08, 2020

How long does it take to upload videos to YouTube?

Many people upload videos to YouTube and find it takes much longer than expected. In today's age internet is fast, so people can often wonder why things take so long. Recently when uploading a large video file I wanted to know roughly how long it would take to upload the file. When I find I need to do a certain calculation on a regular basis, I'll write a web app to help me and make the web app available to others who may have a similar need.

When uploading a video there's two variables. The upload speed and the size of the file. The size of the file can be obtained by looking at the properties of the file. In this case my file was 15.2GB.

The second variable is the upload speed. To get an estimate of the upload speed you can use the site fast.com, which is a Netflix service to measure your internet speed. Using fast.com my upload speed was 3.9Mbps. Now all I needed was to perform the calculation.

To perform the calculation to work out how long it takes to upload a video file I wrote the web app Megabits to Megabytes which is located at www.MegabitsToMegabytes.com.au. The result in this case is around eight and a half hours. That's certainly quite a long time.

Today I checked some other internet service providers. On a  50Mbps NBN service the upload speed was 17Mbps. A Telstra mobile service test at two locations, one a busy shopping centre had an upload speed of around 2Mbps and in a residential area around 30Mbps. The speed can certainly can vary considerably depending on the service and the location. Knowing your internet speed and file size at least lets you know how long it will roughly take to upload a video.

Or should I say in theory. It also depends on the service you're uploading the file to. If the service you're using is slow, then the upload could take even longer.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.MegabitsToMegabytes.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment