Tuesday, October 28, 2008

JustLocal advisory: Facebook shows your friend's photographs to the world.

As a result of a search my daughter recently did, my Facebook page was returned in the number one position. On clicking the link there were photographs of a number of my friends and that really concerned me.

By default Facebook creates a public page which can be found on the Internet. I had not thought that it would also provide photographs of friends which could also show their children. I would not without permission, put other people's photographs on the Internet for the world to see, so I really didn't expect this to happen by default.

Please accept my apologies. It was never my intent to make photographs of others available and I would never have thought this would be a default behaviour of Facebook.

By reviewing the security settings in Facebook I've now removed the public page.

The problem is it is not possible to completely remove the information. The information once made public, will continue to exist on some sites for some time to come, possibly for many years to come.

I hope that by sharing this experience it alerts others to potential issues when using Facebook.

- Kelvin Eldridge

This information is provided to assist JustLocal friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment