Friday, October 03, 2008

Virus alert: [NO-REPLY] UPS Tracking Number 13438330

This slight variation of the recent UPS tracking email has been occurring more often according to my OzEfilter log so I felt it was time to recheck. This is a malicious email.

The email contains the following text:

"Unfortunately we were not able to deliver postal package you sent on Sept the 18 in time because the recipient’s address is not correct.
Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office

Your UPS"


The email has an attachment named UPS_letter.zip and the zip file contains the file UPS_letter.doc.exe. (For those with the option to display file extensions off, you will not see the ".exe".)

This is a malicious email and it should be deleted.

I am quite surprised that these emails continue to pass anti-virus software undetected since this form of malicious email has been released many times over recent weeks . Both the mail server anti-virus scanner software and the desktop anti-virus scanner software, did not detect this malicious email.

For us this is not a problem, as OzEfilter keeps this unwanted email out of our computer. However for everyone else, I would suggest deleting this email permanently.

Virtual Profit Sharing members please also keep in mind OzEfilter is available for you to let others know about. If you find people you know receiving 10-20 or more unwanted emails a day, OzEfilter can assist them and significantly reduce the chances of them infecting their computer. Everyone I have using OzEfilter, appreciates the peace of mind OzEfilter gives them.

- Kelvin Eldridge

2 comments:

  1. I received this file two times; The content is same in your post.
    In "object :" '[NO-REPLY] UPS Tracking Number 85537643'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a similar message this morning (11/11/08)and since I had a UPS package out for delivery I just opened the attachment without thinking. Then it hit me that this was suspicious and immediately deleted it. But my son wrote me tonight that he got the same message, and my email address appeared in the Message Source. So apparently is was forwarded from my Address Book.

    I got the same email on a different computer, but AVG Anti-virus caught it and moved the trojan horse Pakes.AMC to the vault. The first computer was using Comodo anti-virus, and didn't catch it!

    ReplyDelete