Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Apple iOS4 iPhone. American spelling be gone.

I've been checking out the changes in the Apple iPhone with the release of iOS4. When I noticed iOS4 introduced spellchecking, I was naturally curious because of my dictionary work with the Australian English dictionary. (My obsolete work is now used by projects like Google Chrome and Firefox.)

Whilst at first I thought iOS4 only had American spelling, I was pleased that at least the iPhone now has British spelling. Ideally I'd like Australian English spelling to be available, but at least it is better.

MyAnswers solution 2007 shows how to set up the Apple iPhone with iOS 4 to spellcheck using British English.

Those of you with an eye for detail may have perhaps noticed the iPhone did not correctly highlight the American spelling of traveller as incorrect. I've found errors in all the dictionaries I've worked with, including printed and electronic, so this is not unexpected. None of us are perfect, but with time we can improve.

Thanks to Apple for adding the handy feature of spellchecking to their iPhone. If anyone knows the right contact in Apple please let them know that an Australian English dictionary would be welcome.

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment