Monday, August 30, 2010

New iPod/iTouch range

For those interested in the iPod range I've read Apple with be having an event on the 1st of September. Now is a good time to wait a short while to see what the announcement will bring.

In particular it will be interesting to see the features of the new iTouch range and how they differ from the current offering. Last time I looked at the iTouch range I decided the entry level unit's processor was a bit of a gamble and with the release of iOS4 that has been shown to be the case.

The newer models because of their dearer prices, made it a harder decision between an iPhone and an iTouch. My main desire wasn't a phone, but a portable computer with a reasonable browser. The 3G data capability plus the GPS of the iPhone, meant the iPhone was what I ended up buying. Even though I didn't feel the camera on the iPhone was up to scratch (3 megapixel and no optical focus) it has proven to be quite handy. One feature I found very useful whilst travelling overseas was the compass. Data roaming is extremely expensive to using the maps would have costs a fortune (I've heard of people paying hundreds of dollars in data charges) but armed with a free map from the hotels and the compass it was much easier to get around.

Strangely I find that when in the northern hemisphere with the sun being in the southern sky, it means my sense of direction, which is usually very good, was sometimes quite poor. The compass was used regularly. Of course the iPhone is a very expensive compass, but it was handy.

The camera was also very handy for taking quick snaps of schedules and public transport  timetables. Sometimes I even took pictures to remind me of the location I needed to return to. It is amazing how things start to look the same whilst travelling.

Whilst I could have purchased the middle of the range iTouch at $399, the extra features of the iPhone 3GS 16GB unit at $879 were very useful. I'm looking forward to seeing what Apple has in store with the iTouch range.


Kelvin Eldridge

Tags: ipod docking station, ipod fm transmitter, ipod 80gb, 30gb ipod, itouch keyboard


Link: Apple Store Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment