Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Backup software, Windows backup, Data backup

I've known for a couple of years, since Windows Vista came out, my clients need to replace Windows XP Professional backup with another product.  The backup program from Windows XP Pro has not been migrated to Windows Vistra or Windows 7.

Over many months I've been reviewing backup programs for potential use by my clients. My clients have been using Windows XP Professional backup for quite a few years and it has been excellent. I really wish Microsoft had made the effort to provide this software on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Unfortunately backup in Windows Vista wasn't at all suitable and backup in Windows 7 has limitations which make it unsuitable. I've evaluated most of the software programs in the market at this level and so far they've  not met my requirements. All that is really required is for the software to be able to perform a backup like Windows XP Pro.

The program that I'm currently evaluating is CyberLink PowerBackUp 2.5. I've found the program to be easy to use and whilst it is marginally slower than Windows XP backup (I haven't tested the speed without compression on), it has features I've wanted that work, that didn't work in Windows XP backup.

 CyberLink PowerBackUp 2.5 has met my own requriements for my business and so I've purchased a copy for my business. This enables me to test the backup program in a live production environment before a client uses the program.

At $36.39 (it is currently discounted 20%) it isn't about the money. What is important to me is the program is reliable and can handle my clients' needs. Clients that range from a single person business, up to roughly 20 users. So far  CyberLink PowerBackUp 2.5 has done what I've required from it and done it well.

For smaller businesses it is possible to use zip and file copies to perform a backup, but what I find is a backup program provides a structured approach to backup, which is far more productive. To perform my full backup I only need a couple of steps to complete the backup, plus I get a verification done at the end, which confirms the backup has worked. Zip and copy strategies don't provide this extra level of assurance and have other limitations which is why I don't recommend zip and copy strategies to clients.

If you're interest in a backup program, download the trial and give  CyberLink PowerBackUp 2.5 a go. If you like Windows XP Pro backup, you'll like  CyberLink PowerBackUp 2.5.

I will be sharing more information with clients in the MyAnswers solution I am currently writing when the article is complete.

Kelvin Eldridge

Disclosure: Should you click on the Cyberlink PowerBackUp 2.5 and purchase the software I receive a commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment