Monday, September 13, 2010

IE9 beta release date - Get read for a more beautiful web

Today I saw my first banner ad promoting the IE9 (Internet Explorer 9) beta release date which is on the 15th of September. Keep in mind our clocks are ahead of America, so the 15th of September is often the morning of the 16th for us in Australia.

If you run some form of web site it will be a good idea to get a copy of IE9 and check the compatibility of your site. There isn't any rush as it is a beta. Only a small section of your client base might be affected and since they are using beta, it is to be expected.

Whilst I'm ever hopeful that Microsoft will include spellchecking in their browser I'm not being optimistic. I can't believe Microsoft is so behind the market and oblivious to what I think is an important function of any modern browser. It doesn't surprise me when I constantly see Microsoft using American spelling in their promotion to Australians (e.g. software license)but one day they'll hopefully realise the importance of localising their software to more closely suit the country they are selling to. Fingers crossed this functionality is included.

Internet Explorer 8 was a good improvement on IE7 and most of my users found IE8 was much quicker. Windows 7 is a significant improvement over Vista. Let's hope they've kept the same momentum going for IE9.

As I find issues with IE9 I'll share them via MyAnswers.

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment