Monday, September 27, 2010

Possible alert: Download Skype VoIP Addons - More Free Talks

I received an email tonight which looked like it may be from Skype, written in a way that I am lead to believe it is from Skype, but I am very suspicious of it.

The subject in the email is: Download Skype VoIP Addons - More Free Talks

The body of the email contains:

Dear Skype Users,


This is to notify that new updates have been released for Skype. Following are major new features:

The links in the email aren't to the Skype site.
 
The email is signed by :
 
Anthony Norman

Skype Support

The word copyright is written as Copy rights and an error like this is unlikely to come from Skype.

The email address receiving this communication was not the email I use with Skype, but a public email address.

The email originated out of Northern America, but Skype headquarters is based in Luxembourg.

I would certainly be very suspicious of this email and not go to the links. My educated guess is this is a marketing attempt designed to make people feel they email is from Skype and thus get them to purchase a product. It may or may not be malicious.

If it was me I'd delete this email immediately.

Kelvin Eldridge

3 comments:

  1. I received the same email on my work email address this morning. I don't have a skype acount at all which is what made me suspicious.
    I deleted the email straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also received several of these emails, even with mis-spelt addressee. Yes, this looks every bit like a SCAM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. skype-voip-2010.com is registered in russia!

    ReplyDelete