Thursday, May 28, 2020

Can you catch coronavirus on a plane?

Recently I read this article where Alan Joyce, the CEO of Qantas in terms of catching coronavirus on aircraft stated, "So we have no evidence of that ever occurring on Qantas aircraft or worldwide.". Alan Joyce was defending the lack of social distancing on flights to prevent coronavirus.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-20/coronavirus-qantas-alan-joyce-defends-flights-social-distancing/12265520

That's an interesting comment as it indicates the risk of catching coronavirus is quite low. It doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but from the evidence Qantas on Qantas aircraft has they have no evidence.

One important point is the article states, "We then traced all the passengers, next to them [and] in front of them ... and nobody on all aircraft has known transmission."

There's a couple of problems with this. First what about other passengers on the aircraft, not just the people in front and next to them. Also what about asymptomatic people who may be spreading coronavirus. When there's a qualification that limits following up to immediately adjacent people and not the entire aircraft it does raise the suspicion as to whether

The reality is I doubt anyone, anywhere, knows the exact place and time they were infected. Yes, they can know they likely got it at some time by being around an infected person, but it's impossible to know exactly when and where to the second it occurred.

The second point is Qantas aircraft was specifically mentioned. Not Qantas flights which can be planes by other companies. 

I read recently of a person who believe they were infected via their eyes when they were flying. Again this person may have been infected in some other way, but that is what they believe. Keep in mind he felt unwell three days after flying. The incubation period is typically 4-5 days to 14 days.


I thought the following articles relating to aircraft seating, airflow and coronavirus were interesting.

Perhaps the most interesting video as it shows two cases where 17 and 22 people were infected with prior epidemics when flying on planes.

This article shows the position of vents and air extraction vents.

Simulation of movement of a sneeze inside and aircraft.

This article does not take into account airflow.

Another simulation of airflow in a plane.

I hope the above is useful information. 

Personally I won't be flying for some time. The problem I see is for airlines it's about getting business and whilst that's in their interest, it may not be in mine. If I did fly I'd wear a mask. Less likely but possibly I'd wear some glasses, although perhaps a sleeping mask and a nap would be a good option. If possible sit close to the window, but since I fly with my wife, I usually let her have the window seat. Sitting forward in the plane also appears to be a better option, although not always possible. Avoid sitting in the middle, with the second choice being towards the rear. Have a seat away from the toilets. It may even be extra cautious and not eat or drink on the plane. There's no evidence, but to me that increases touching surfaces. If I did eat or drink it would be something I brought myself. Sanitising my hands as soon as possible after flying, but not using the toilets at the airport sine they're closed areas with limited airflow. Keeping the seat upright keeps me further from the person behind who is more likely to be breathing and thus causing airflow towards me rather than the person in front. At the airport I'd look for ways to stay away from people and crowded areas. Waiting in pen areas, or even better outside areas.

The above are just my thoughts. To me this is about thinking about what I can do to improve my and my family's safety, not necessarily listening to others have may have their own agendas.

Kelvin Eldridge











No comments:

Post a Comment