Friday, June 05, 2020

Speed camera in Westconnex M4 East tunnel NSW

To help people review the red light camera locations and speed camera locations where they incurred an infringement, I created the www.SpeedCameraLocations.com.au site. One of the more difficult type of speed cameras to locate are those cameras that a located in tunnels. Often you can't see them because of the bright lights in the tunnel roofs and the dark background. I know I find it hard to see them.

One tunnel I still hadn't located until today was in the Westconnex M4 East tunnel. With information provided by others and a little research I was able to locate the approximate position and add the location of the speed camera to the Speed Camera Locations NSW map.

What helped a lot was a person posted the pictures of their infringement on OzBargain (https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/498958). By reviewing the pictures I was then able to provide an approximate location in Google Street View and also provide a video (from YouTube) of the location.

I'm thankful to those who share this information which enables me to provide better information on my www.SpeedCameraLocations.com.au site.

As a side note, the person who provided the images was fined for doing 72 km/h when the signs were showing 40 km/h. In the video I've provided via a link to on www.SpeedCameraLocations.com.au, has the speed showing 80 km/h. At the entrance to the tunnel there's a sign stating "Variable Speed Limit Enforced". I noticed in the image for the fine there's a truck after the left merging lane that may be doing maintenance and perhaps the reason the speed limit was reduced. I do wonder how much warning drivers had because this driver didn't notice they were zooming past other cars. The pictures show the speed signs before and after the car are set to 40 km/h.

Whilst the speed camera is located further back, the spot where the picture of the is taken is around door 34, between the two merge arrows and roughly near the yellow left lane ends sign.


Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment