Monday, January 18, 2021

Nearest Train Station site moved to Mapz.com.au

On a regular basis I review the websites I've created and determine whether or not they should have their own domain name, or live under a group domain. This is largely a cost decision based on usage. If enough people are visiting the site then a separate domain is justified, if not then, due to cost, it's best the site is moved to one of the common group domains I use.

Low usage doesn't mean the site isn't useful to people, it's often that Google is not giving priority to the site so people can't find the site. For example during Victoria's COVID-19 outbreak I found the site I had where I shared public locations (at that point the government wasn't sharing the information), that Google really only seemed to share/prioritise government sites and news sites. It makes sense as we all want quality information, but also it shows us how the information we receive is considerably filtered. At other times sites that I build may simply be of little use to others. The only way to know is to build the site and see how the site goes.

In the case of Nearest Train station, I created this site as my daughters would often have me pick up a friend or two and then ask to be dropped off at the nearest train station. At the time finding the nearest train station using Google wasn't easy and hence the web site was developed. Google sees what people search for and over time they'll make the information available within Google Search. The more people that stay within Google Search and don't leave increases the display of ads and thus revenue for Google. This is one reason many sites may become less relevant and get less traffic.

Personally I still find the sites I created handy and use them regularly. So instead of killing off the sites when usage decreases I incorporate them into one of my group sites. Sometimes www.JustLocal.com.au, but in this case www.Mapz.com.au.

The Nearest Train Station site and Nearest Tram Stop and Nearest Vline Station pages can now be found on Mapz.com.au using the following links and are also available from the Mapz site.


I hope others find these pages to be useful as I do.

Kelvin Eldridge

No comments:

Post a Comment