Friday, November 21, 2014

YouTube - Your video may include music that is owned by a third party.

I used a couple of very old public domain videos as part of new videos I created. I received this message and also other message where others were claiming rights to the material. Pretty scary on the one hand that you may be breaching copyright, but also annoying when the material was obtained as public domain material from the Archive.org. I'd lost a bit of trust in Archive.org, but perhaps I was concerned where I shouldn't be concerned.

For this video I removed the section of music as it had no impact on the overall result. YouTube then accepted the video. But then each additional video gave me a similar issue because others appeared to be claiming copyright over the material. It was really annoying as the material was public domain.

The problem as I saw it was in YouTube's service. YouTube is just looking for similar content. It can't tell if part of that content is public domain. Once you incorporate public domain material into your own work it becomes copyright. That means any number of people can legitimately use the same public domain material, incorporate it into their work and their work as a whole becomes copyright, but not original public domain material. I hope that makes sense. At least that's how I see it.

So I decided to challenge. This is scary because you can get a strike. Three strikes and you impact your YouTube presence. So I decided to challenge two videos. It takes around 30 days and if there's no response your material is then cleared for use. Both of my videos are now valid and available on YouTube. Phew. Indeed a bit scary.

This does mean that for each video I produce in this way there may be a delay of around 30 days and I only wish to take the exposure of two videos at a time risking copyright infringement. So it will be slow progress for what I want to do. In the end however hopefully it will be worth the time.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.OnlineConnections.com.au
Call 0415 910 703 for IT support.


No comments:

Post a Comment