Thursday, November 13, 2014

How Toyota lost my trust in them and are unlikely to get future business from us.

At the moment I'm getting very annoyed with the constant upsell that is happening around us. Businesses we've used for years seem to just want to extract as much as they can from us. Bump up prices here, upsell there.

Businesses know they can increase prices and the extra profit from all their customers will exceed the profit from the customers they lose. That's why it is important to constantly review your suppliers.

I put my Toyota Avensis in for the 80,000 km service at Toyota Preston. Sat down at the desk and they said it would cost around $1,100. I asked if they could discount it which they did and the cost was around $1,030. Still pretty steep I thought. At this point they hadn't even looked at the car so I thought this was the standard service charge.

Some months later I decided to check the internet. Here's an old price from Cranbourne Toyota.


I have a Toyota Avensis. The price here was $674. I called Cranbourne Toyota for their current price and it was $768.

Now Toyota Preston decided to install a fuel filter which is where the extra cost is. Keep in mind I went in for a standard 80,000 km service. There is nothing in the Cranbourne information to indicate any additional charge for a fuel filter. At the point of booking in the car no mention of a fuel filter was made and the car had not even been touched.

It simply doesn't make sense. Toyota dealers are advertising a price for a service and then when you take the car in the price is much more. This was a standard service. Surely Toyota knows exactly what should be included in a standard service. If the fuel filter is required then that should be in the price they advertise.

To me this feels like false advertising. I've lost total faith in Toyota and their dealers now. My latest service was done by the motor mechanic that looks after our older cars. I'll be using them from now on.

Businesses can upsell and put their prices up and generally most of us simply tolerate it. It costs us a lot of money over the years but generally the devil we know is better than the devil we don't. For me I'll change if I think I'm being treated like a fool or trust is broken. In this case not servicing the car for the advertised price and upselling sight unseen, has broken my trust in Toyota. Trust once broken can rarely be mended. Our next car which will be purchased in the near future won't be a Toyota and Toyota won't even be considered.

How easy it is for companies to lose business simply by doing what isn't expected.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au




No comments:

Post a Comment